Google

Thursday, February 7, 2008

The 5 Best Toddler Toys for Under Ten Bucks

This list contains the toys that have given us the biggest bang for the buck. They have been consistently played with and provided many hours of entertainment for my kids.


1. Happy Meal Toys – We are partial to McDonald’s but any fast food restaurant will do. I am not promoting Happy Meals as a nutritious meal, but on occasion, we do treat our kids to lunch or dinner at “HotDonald’s.” My kids are always thrilled with their new toys. They are just the right size for toddler hands and they are always different. We have Shrek, Teenage Mutant Turtles, Pirates of the Caribbean, Strawberry Shortcake, robots, cars, puppies, to name a few. These toys are always a big hit and you get a meal too!


2. Matchbox or Hot Wheel Cars – They go anywhere and kids just seem to love anything that has wheels. They are not just for boys either; my daughter loves to play cars as much as my son. Our couch, the windowsills, their play center rug and even my arms and legs have been transformed into roads or racetracks for the cars to drive on. There is an endless variety to choose from and they never “tire” of them.


3. Flashlights – I bought my kids Disney flashlights this past Christmas. They use them on many of their imaginative adventures. Whether they are pretending to camp in the family room or searching for clues to solve a mystery, they have hours of fun. Plus, they love to make shapes on the wall. The only thing that wears out is the batteries, not the kids.

4. Cookie Cutters – I purchased the Roshco 100 piece Cookie Cutter set from Pfaltzgraff so that we could make and cut out sugar cookies. They are made of plastic so they do not have any sharp edges. They range in size from 2 to 4 inch pieces and include holiday shapes, animal shapes, letters and numbers, and more. When we emptied the box to see what all we got, it was like Christmas. There were so many colors and shapes to choose from and we discovered that they weren’t just for cookies! Besides playing with the airplane and train pieces, we have used them to reinforce letters, numbers, shapes and colors. A really great, multi-functional bargain for both mom and kids.


5. Squeezy Soft Animals – This last item I am including on my list because my kids still play with the farm animals and dinosaurs almost every day and they have had them for over a year. The ones I purchased came from Toys to Grow on but when I checked out their website recently I couldn’t find them. I don’t know if they are discontinued but I am sure there are plenty of other similar toys. For under $10, they each got an assortment of 8 “squeezy soft” and very durable animals that came with their own storage boxes. The boxes themselves are great not only for storing but also for carrying. And they make great hats for toddler heads!


I don’t really understand why we spend a fortune on toys when most kids can find amusement and entertainment with just about anything. All it takes is a little imagination, a little freedom and some supervision and even the most ordinary objects can turn into toys. Like the expression says, sometimes the box is just as much fun as what’s inside.

1 comment:

Funologie Dot Com said...

wow very good toys at cheap price :)