Google

Monday, January 14, 2008

Being a Perfect Parent

I am a parent. Probably not a very good one. So instead of offering advice and sharing good parenting tips and tricks, I will more than likely share my questions about raising children. Maybe some of you have the same questions and concerns, the same doubts and insecurities. I would like to think that I am not the only one who sometimes feels like I don’t know what I am doing. The only model we have for how to be a parent is our own parents. And I am sure that I have intrinsically acquired some of their values and lessons, but I still don’t feel that I have the adequate skills I need to be the “perfect” parent. Don’t get me wrong, I am not blaming my parents for not teaching me. It just wasn’t relevant at the time and I guess I didn’t pay much attention to the how they raised me. Not that it would have mattered much anyway because I would still be the same person and the same kind of mom that I am. I am not a disciplinarian, I am not strict, I am not consistent. I don’t know how to be those things even though I know my kids would be better off in the long run. It is just isn’t in my nature. I let my kids get away with too much because I want them not only to love me but to like me too. At least I know that I have succeeded in that respect. My kids do love me and I am grateful for that. But have I really taught them about consequences, disappointment, right and wrong? Have I instilled in them respect for me and for others? Have I taught them manners and patience? Have I taught them anything positive? Only time will tell. I will continue to nurture them and care for them and try to meet their needs as best as I can. I didn’t turn out too bad so hopefully they won’t either.

No comments: