Google

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Where the Wild Things Are

Hi and welcome to my blog. Since this is my first real post, I thought I would begin by telling you why I chose the title Where the Wild Things Are. If you continue to read my future posts, I am sure it will become quite evident, but for now it seems like the right place to begin my journey into the world of blogging.

Most of you, I believe, are familiar with Maurice Sendak’s children’s book Where the Wild Things Are. As a child, this was one of my favorite books (my other favorite being Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown). I can still remember my mom reading this book to me night after night before I went to bed. I heard the story so many times that I can still recite it word for word even now that I am an adult. My mom (thankfully) saved my childhood copy of the book and passed it on to me when I became a mother. That same story quickly became a favorite of my son who is now 3 ½ years old. The pages are tattered and torn but the story remains the same and so do the memories. The book has been loved, hugged, cried on, slept with, thrown, and stepped on. It almost has a life of its own and has been treated in the same way that life often treats most of us. But in the end, it is a priceless memory from my past and I hope that my children will come to have the same connection and same love for the story that I do.

We now have a brand new copy of the book along with our very own Max doll. This one has been tucked away in a safe place so that it will not be destroyed before my children are old enough to really appreciate the value of books. Which brings me to my second reason for choosing this title for my blog. It is not all about my love for the book but also because of my “wild” life. I have two kids ages 2 and 3 ½. They are 16 months apart in age and right now, life is pretty crazy with them. They definitely have their “Max” moments and they have the same vivid imaginations. They are at such a terrific age but with that comes a lot of chaos. Since life with my kids will more than likely become the subject of most of my blogs, I wanted a title that truly reflected what that is like.

No comments: