Google

Friday, January 11, 2008

To Be or Not To Be...Polite

Someone once wrote, “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the power to turn a life around.” So I wonder, why have we forgotten how to act politely towards each other? It is really such a simple thing to do and it really does make people feel good. I did something nice for a complete stranger today. It didn’t take any extra time out of my day, it didn’t cost me any money, and it didn’t take any special effort. It was a simple gesture of good will and yet it made me feel like I made a difference in her life. All I did was catch her in the parking lot of Wal-Mart after noticing that she left her checkbook behind at the register. No big deal. I just did what I thought was the right thing to do, what I would want someone to do had it been me who left my checkbook in a public place. It wasn't so much the fact that I told her about her checkbook that gave me a feeling of pleasure but that she appreciated it, that she was grateful, that she said thank you. It was reassuring to know that kindness can be met with kindness. That is what makes you want to be polite to others. I try to be polite - I say excuse me in the grocery aisles, I say hello and thank you to salespeople, I apologize when my kids are too loud or too bossy, I wave to those drivers who let me cut in in a line of traffic. Nothing grand, nothing that would win me a politeness award. Just small acts that show I care. But what I want in return are the same small kindnesses. Not looks of annoyance or disgust. Look me in the eye, smile, acknowledge that I exist, do something other than ignore me. Wouldn’t we all be a little happier if we performed a few more random acts of kindness throughout the day? I know I would.

And I also know that I would like my children to grow up to be polite and kind and respectful. My husband and I expect them to say "please" and "thank you." It made me extremely proud when my son's preschool teacher complimented his politeness. I know now that he does it without being prompted by us or reminded of his manners. He just does it because it is the right thing to do, the right way to behave. I also believe that my kids should address all adults they meet with "Yes, sir" or "Yes, ma'am" (even if it does sound like they are saying Yes, man!) That, to me, is a form of respect and demonstrates kindness on a very basic level. Simply put, it is polite. I believe there is great power in these small words and acts, the kind of power that can brighten even the darkest day.

No comments: